How to Donate?
- Please look over the Donor Selection Criteria , which outlines a basic list of basic exclusions for donating. There are some exceptions to this list, so please note any questions you may have on the form below.
- If you have experienced a loss, please accept our deepest sympathy during this time. We strive to offer the opportunity to heal through our Garrett’s Gift Bereavement Donation Program. If you are interested in donating, please contact IMMB by email at LDuncan@immb.org or by phone at 317-536-1670 or toll-free at 877-829-7470. You do not need to continue with the steps below – we will be back in contact very shortly.
- Call or Email our Donor Mother Coordinator to be pre-screened. 317.536.1679 or LDuncan@immb.org
- Once you talk to Lauren, She will mail or email you our Complete Donor Packet. It consists of the following forms:
- Consent Form, Medical History Form and Health Care Provider Release Form
- NOTE: If forms have black boxes on them, contact us and we will email you a Word version.
- Fill out the appropriate forms and return to our Donor Outreach Coordinator, by mail, fax, or scan & email.
- Once we receives your Potential Donor Packet, we will be back in touch to arrange a blood screening, at our expense. The options for undergoing the blood screening are as follows:
- If you live in the Indy area, you can visit one the most convenient Quest Diagnostic Laboratories or IU Health Laboratories in town. IMMB will set up and pay for the blood draw for you.
- If you live outside of the Indianapolis area, we will be mailing you a Lab Ordering form for Quest Diagnostics. Once you receive the form, you can visit the closest Quest location and they will draw your blood, test it and forward the results to us. The cost of the blood draw is covered by IMMB.
NOTE: If Quest does not have a location near you, we will find another convenient method of obtaining the labs we need.
- Once we have received your complete paperwork and blood test results, you will be notified of your final approval as a donor and we can arrange for your milk to be shipped to IMMB! Check out our recommendations for Collecting and Storing Milk.
- If your medication or prenatal vitamins change while donating, please contact us or refer to the Medication Information for the waiting period necessary for the medication to eliminate from your blood stream. If you have any questions, please call us: 317-536-1670
One in eight babies is born premature (March of Dimes Peristats, 2010). Premature or ill infants are at a much higher risk for devastating infections if they are fed formula instead of human milk. These haunting statistics, combined with our belief that human milk is the optimal form of nutrition and immunologic protection for babies, is the reason for what we do. To say it best, human milk fights infection while providing ideal nutrition. However, a mother may not be able to provide this precious resource because:
Premature delivery can cause delayed milk production or an insufficient supply
We recognize the time, effort, and love you have put into pumping, labeling, and freezing your milk. If you have extra, please share this amazing resource!
Mom’s own milk is always ideal for the baby – but when this is not available, human milk donations from generous mothers like you are the next best option. Organizations like the American Academy of Pediatrics and the World Health Organization agree! IMMB follows strict screening, processing, and dispensing guidelines established by the Human Milk Banking Association of North America (HMBANA) to ensure the safety of pasteurized donor human milk (PDHM). Babies may receive PDHM because of the following: