The Milk Bank
Founded in 2005 as the Indiana Mothers’ Milk Bank, The Milk Bank was established to improve health outcomes for premature and ill infants, foster better health for children and decrease health care expenditures. The Milk Bank receives human milk from carefully screened donors, pasteurizes, freezes and distributes it throughout the United States. As a non-profit, community-supported entity, The Milk Bank is the first and only donor human milk bank in Indiana. The Milk Bank is a proud member of the Human Milk Banking Association of North America.
The Milk Bank is a nonprofit organization that promotes health by expanding the safe use of human milk for all babies, especially premature and ill infants.
- Human milk should be available to all ill and premature infants
- An educated community understands the need for human milk for all babies
- Safe human milk offers the best health care outcomes for premature and ill infants
- Pasteurized donor human milk decreases health care costs
- Safely screen, collect, pasteurize and distribute donor milk to premature and ill infants and others
- Collaborate to support and educate the community in order to promote the awareness and acceptance of breastfeeding and donor milk